What COVID-19 Has Taught Me

It's funny because I feel like I spend a lot of time on this blog speaking about my fear of the future or how I deal with the unknown in terms of college and post-college life. However, as good as I thought I was at adapting to new circumstances, I never could have predicted turning on carpet, using a bookshelf as my ballet barre, and spending almost an entire semester of college in my Texas home. As my readers may know by now, I reflect a lot and ask myself a lot of questions to expose and process my values, thoughts, and opinions. This is important to me because I feel like each of us are on a constant journey of learning, and I personally want to approach life with a strong sense of self. Sharing my personal notes, journal entries, and experiences, here is what I've learned during this time.





1. The importance of learning and unlearning. 
Black lives matter. Upon reading the news and posts on social media, I realized that our generation is going to be the generation of change. Racism has always existed, and I am so proud to see the voices that have spoken out and the actions that my peers have taken. But to be a part of that change, it starts with every individual. Each of us has prejudices, biases, and influences, and we need to confront them, asking ourselves "why" and "now what." Humans were built to co-exist, we were built to create, we were built to love, we were built to learn. So, I had to take it upon myself to face myself.

The conversations I had during this time are going to be forever engrained in my mind, and if I feel like they are fleeting for any reason, then it is my responsibility to remind myself of how our history and how present society treats people based on the color of their skin. We have access to so many resources on the internet and in print, and it's important that we use them. This is not a moment to just check off some list, it is something that we should be continuing on our own whether or not it's trending on Instagram. Educate yourself so you can educate those around you and those that come after you. I attended a rally that deliberately invited children. These families were so engaged as they listened to the speakers and every participant was proud to be there. They radiated with passion. Seeing children literally having a dance party empowering them to fight against racism and carrying signs that are literally the size of them was so inspiring. Like they are kids that are doing what they can to take action. I need to do the same.

No matter how old I am I always hear that "the world is a dark place," but if we have the ability to create change and make it a little better, then I want to learn and unlearn and learn again.

2. We are all interconnected whether we like it or not. 
There's a theory that I learned in high school called the "Six Degrees of Separation." It's this idea that you can take any two people in the world and find that they are only six or fewer social connections away from each other. That's crazy. Think about it. You and any of the 7 billion people in the world are connected through only six other connections. And beyond social connections, think of the number of people you interact with on an average day when you were out and about, like the number of strangers you pass by, or the people your friends introduce to you if you bump into them at a store.

To me, the idea that we are woven together was amplified through this pandemic. It spread/is spreading like wildfire. Why? Because we are all connected. What started as a few cases is now affecting all of us. I realized that everyone views this pandemic differently. Some of us believe that it isn't real and that things should open up and be as normal as possible while others are still scared to leave their house to go get groceries. No matter where you lie on the spectrum, we need to honor each other. There are so many reasons why we are divided but this pandemic should be something we should be fighting together.  

3. Art isn't dead.
Both during the spring semester and during my summer session, I kept hearing about how art is dying. Theatres are closed, film productions are shut down, dance companies are out of money, etc. It really sucks the hope out of a student that is probably going to be in debt for studying art at an institution when they hear, "There's not going to be anything out there for you." And maybe that's true. Art relies on in-person interaction. And the arts need to be funded now more than ever. But when I really think about how artists have adapted during this time, I truly believe that artists are unstoppable. 

Musicians are using Instagram lives and other online platforms to have concerts or teach their music. Dancers are finding ways to continue rehearsal and create dance films. Writers are avidly writing. People are still engaging in movies and TV shows while they are locked up. The list goes on. I just find that really amazing. So yeah, maybe art won't be the same as we know it, and who knows when the next time I can go see a show will be, but I don't think art is dying. I think its power is getting recognized. 

I've been able to teach dance a little since being back home and these children who I see taking these classes through zoom or in-person are filled with hope. They don't seem to be weighed down by limits at all. Their change of environment and structure don't seem to take away their passion, or willingness, or joy. I don't know at what age that changes, where we all of a sudden believe that every obstacle is a sign to turn around, but I want to figure out how to stop that mindset. 

I've personally engaged on taking on some new artistic projects and taking this time to "play." If you had the freedom to create anything, what would you create?

4. Distance doesn't always demolish.
I was a bit worried about the state my friendships would be in during this time. To be honest, this time confirmed how much of an introvert I really was and how much of a homebody I could turn into. I always brag about how I'm constantly surrounded by amazing people, and I'm happy to say that that has not changed. I've received mail from some of my friends or we've found ways to check-in with each other through long facetime sessions. I will admit that I can be pretty annoying and spam people with multiple texts, wanting their thoughts on a lot of things, and somehow they've always replied, willing to help with anything. I also feel that this time has allowed me to become closer to people that I wasn't as close to before. Weird, right? In addition to talking to my NYU friends, I've been able to talk to a few of my Texas friends who I haven't been able to talk to as often and that has also been extremely refreshing. 

I'm itching to see and hug my friends as much as the next person, but I think that we associate distance with a demolishing of a relationship. Like everyone always says "long-distance relationships never work," or "you'll find new friends near you," but this time to me has proven that friendships can still grow without constantly seeing each other. So reach out to a friend if you're feeling a little lonely and don't just erase the idea of talking to someone just because they may be in a different state or country. 

_____________


There are more things I've learned during this time, but these are my main takeaways. If you journal like I do or want some writing prompts, here are some questions I challenge you to ask yourself as you reflect on this time:
-What is one moment during my time at home that I don't want to forget?
-What is something I'm proud of accomplishing?
-Who have I grown closer to
-What is something that I've found peace with
-What is something new I've tried?
-What has been the best part about being home?
-What is something about myself I have learned?
- What have I come to appreciate more?

I found myself doing this at the end of each month as sort of a refresh during this "boring" time. Hope you're staying safe and healthy!



Comments